Salem Youth Ministries partners with families and the wider church to connect students to one another and to Jesus Christ, and to help them grow in their relationship with Christ. Through experiential learning, worship, service, and fun, students are challenged and equipped to live a “whole life” faith that shapes every aspect of their lives.
Our youth program utilizes the Orange curriculum and program to our youth ministries. Orange focuses on relevant, biblical teaching, engaging small-group interactions and intentional connection with and resourcing of parents. Our goal is to have students open themselves to God’s ongoing work in their lives beyond their time with us at Salem. Special events throughout the year will offer opportunities for fun, discipleship, meaningful service, and for inviting friends to come to experience God’s love.
Over the past several months, we have had the opportunity to rethink how we live out Salem Covenant Church’s mission of connecting, growing, and going. As we enter the fall season, that mission is at the center of what we hope to offer at Salem Youth Ministry. For everything we do:
- Students and leaders will be required to wear masks at all times, practice social distancing, and practice good hygiene.
- Students who are sick or who are at high risk should stay home and utilize online options.
- All plans are flexible – in-person is preferred, but the back-up will be switching to an online YouTube and Zoom format for relational and spiritual development.
Youth and Young Adult Pastor
Youth Ministry Assistant
Over the past several months, we have had the opportunity to rethink how we live out Salem Covenant Church’s mission of connecting, growing, and going. As we enter the fall season, that mission is at the center of what we hope to offer at Salem Youth Ministry. As you already know, these plans are flexible and may change if needed. We strive to create an opportunity for students to grow in their relationships with God and others in safe and engaging ways.
At the moment, we are doing an online-only youth group through the month of January but are hoping like hybrid will begin again in late January/early February. Middle School youth group is Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30 p.m. and High School youth group is Wednesday evenings from 7:30-8:30 p.m. If you are a student in middle school or high school, email Luke Korthuis or Sue Pederson for links to join us!
Confirmation is open by enrollment to students in grades 6-8. The purpose of Confirmation at Salem Covenant Church is to lead students to explore, engage in, and deepen their relationship with God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with God’s people through the ages and Christ’s Church around the world, with our local church community and denomination, and with the life, mission, and ministry God calls us together to share. We have three different confirmation classes – an Old Testament survey class, a New Testament survey class, and a Foundations of Faith class. Students must complete all requirements from all classes to be confirmed at Salem Covenant Church. Know that we want students to be confirmed at Salem and we seek to work individually with students to ensure they succeed! For more information, contact Pastor Luke Korthuis.
Because of all of the moving pieces this fall, we are transitioning confirmation online for the fall semester. Classes will be hosted via Zoom and students will be able to engage in large group and small group sessions. All middle school students are encouraged to participate, even if they are beginning classes mid-way through the three-year process.
All students must register for confirmation by contacting Pastor Luke.
Your confirmation teacher teams!
- 1st Year (6th Grade): Karla Walker, Todd Rood, Denise Rood
- 2nd Year (7th Grade): Steve Walker, Russ Holsten, Melissa Smith
- 3rd Year (8th Grade): Beth Nemec, Mark Nygaard, Pastor Mark Pattie
When will each confirmation class be hosted?
- 1st Year (6th Grade): Sunday Afternoons (4:30-5:15 pm) Starting September 20 (Zoom link to be emailed on Sunday)
- 2nd Year (7th Grade): Sunday Afternoons (4:30-5:15 pm) Starting September 20 (Zoom link to be emailed on Sunday)
- 3rd Year (8th Grade): Every other Monday evening (6:30-7:30 pm) *September 28, October 12, 26, November 9, 23, December 7
Students in grades 9-12
Please contact Pastor Luke for more information as we begin to plan for small group gatherings.
Click HERE for scholarship application, if needed.